There have been millions of pages written in books to help people find their inner strength. Some have gone to great lengths hiring life coaches and more to find out what they should do and how they should do it. Still more people try to figure out how exactly they want to achieve their goals and how to motivate themselves to do so. I’ve always said that in order to reach our goals it takes personal power and support from others. Perhaps you feel like you have pulled out all of the stops when it comes to achieving your goals and you feel like you have no more motivation or power to give. Well let me tell you the story of a woman named Chimeaka White. Chimeaka is a real person and yes this is a true story. By the age of 19 she had 2 children and was a single mom and a full time college student at NC A&T State University. There were times when she worked 3 jobs just to feed and clothe her children. She went to law school 10 years after obtaining my undergraduate degree. She commuted 45 minutes everyday to get to school and 45 minutes to get back home. Chimeaka moved her mom into her house to help her with her kids. Staying committed to law school was a struggle for Chimeaka, having to remove herself from ALL non-law school activities in order to remain focused. During exam time she would get home at 3 am in morning…sleep, shower, get dressed and be out by 7 am. Chimeaka says “I am blessed to have 2 well behaved children. My children respect the sacrifices I have made over the years to accomplish my dream. I am proud to announce that in less than 2 months from now I will graduate from NCCU School of Law. I DID THAT! If you are a single mother who has a dream of going back to school…DO IT! Let nothing and/or nobody hold you back! You can DO IT!”
HOW CHIMEAKA DID IT
She knew something early on, she knew she had to unlock the power within her to accomplish her goals. She was able to hold her future up to the light to find the imperfections and make adjustments in her life and shape her life around her goals. I’m sure there are many single moms or dads out there that have similar stories….but what’s the point? The only way we will be able to push beyond what we think we can do is to focus on the power inside and take imperfect action to change our situation. What is required from us to be able to unlock the power? I will give you 10 actionable steps that you can use to unlock your power and your potential fully so you can succeed and have the life you want.
10 STEPS TO UNLOCK YOUR PERSONAL POWER
- Examine your life, ask yourself hard questions – Ask yourself questions like: Am I on the right track to accomplish my goals? Have I allowed life to distract me from my life plan? How can I organize myself so I can get back to being who I want to be?
- Recognize things need to change – Probably one of the biggest factors in unlocking your personal power is recognizing when things in your life have drifted from your life plan. When that happens and as soon as you notice that it has, you need to take immediate action.
- Create specific goals that focus on those things that need to change – Smart goals accomplish purposes, weak goals do nothing more than appeal to the part of our brain that likes to be soothed. Make smart goals for yourself (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timely)
- Visualize your future self accomplishing your goals – Visualization is one of a humans most unique abilities and a powerful tool at our disposal. By visualizing yourself accomplishing your goals you are setting your mind on a path that is laser focused towards your goals and you can become unstoppable
- Hold your goals before you at all times – The reason why we need calendars, notes, voice memos and reminders is because we tend to forget. The same thing can happen when we have life goals we want to accomplish. Therefore, right your goals down or put them in the calendar on your phone. Some place you will always see it, keep the carrot in front of you and you will move forward.
- When things get tough……Breathe! – There are very few certain things about life, but one of them is that at some point it will get hard on some level for us. Remember that it’s not the end of the world when life gets frustrating and hard to deal with, it’s just a temporary set back that you have in front of you that may make you create another path but ultimately with persistence you can end up where you want to be
- Build a support system – One of the benefits of having positive minded people around you is that, they can help you focus on your goals and encourage you when the going gets tough. Choose people to support you who you can confide in and who understand where you want to go with your life.
- Do what you have to do, to do what you want to do – A classic example of this is our story above. Chimeaka at times worked three jobs to provide for her family. No doubt exhausted, her ability to work this jobs out of a sense of loyalty to her goals allowed her to see past the temporary hardship of having to make hard sacrifices.
- Don’t let setbacks halt your progress – Take imperfect action, expect the unexpected. The best way to deal with setbacks is to spend your time finding a solution for them instead of complaining about them
- Be true to yourself and don’t let success change you – Never let life shape you, think about how far you come and where you want to go, but do so by being you. The beauty of life is that we all individually contribute to it by being who we are. Unlocking your power is not about being someone else….no it’s about being the best version of ourselves that we could be.
Here’s to your success,
Click and read some of our other blogs like: