It’s always nice to generate ideas around how you can make your business or personal life run like a machine. Have you ever wondered why it seems like two people who live relatively similar lives can have different networths or why one is more productive than the other? The key is that it comes down to how we use our time, it’s very simple we all have the same 24 hours in a day but how we use those hours can range wildly. No fear though, i’m going to help provide for you 10 ways you can increase your efficiency and productivity.
THE FIRST TASK
The first thing you have to do when you are trying to improve your efficiency and productivity is to analyze how you spend your time. The reason for doing this is to identify time vampires and what is sucking the life out of your day and sapping your time. Just to give you an example of potential time vampires they could include: TV Watching, needy friends/family, pointless conversations, etc..
I know what your thinking, how do I go about identifying those things that are wasting my time? First and foremost you have to look at how much time you are putting into certain activities. Create some structure for yourself so you can know when you are going off track. For instance, devote no more than an hour to watching TV a day so you can work on your goals. This will help you to find out whether or not something like the TV was causing you to lose a lot of time.
8 WAYS TO INCREASE PRODUCTIVITY AND EFFICIENCY
- Identify time wasters – We’ve already spoken about this above. Since we only have a finite amount of time daily to accomplish things we have to buy back time from other things that we are doing to ensure that we have time to get things done
- Create order and structure – As much as we like to all think we have the ability to just “wing it” with life we don’t. We need structure, and we need consistency, without those two pillars we won’t be able to build on a dream or a goal effectively and we will be wasting a lot of time, money and energy
- Make a schedule – Keeping a schedule is a great way to organize your life. Knowing when you’re going to do something, with who and where is top of the list when it comes to increasing productivity and efficiency. You should know what your week looks like in a snapshot so you can make time to work on the more important things
- Ruthlessly manage your time – No one is going to manage your time like you will, that’s why it’s so important to spend 80% of your time doing the things that help build towards your project or goals.
- Get rest – One of the most key components to being productive is having enough energy to discharge the responsibilities of the day. This means that at some point we have to put down our smartphones and go to bed. Make sure that your bedroom is comfortable and free from distractions so you can get quality sleep.
- Use hard systems – A hard system according to “E” Myth creator Michael Gerber is anything that forces a set of behaviors that doesn’t have emotions. So something like a file system in an office is a hard system. Hard systems solve soft system problems. Like, you’re having problems putting the right form in the right folder, creating a hard system like a filing system will help you to force good behaviors.
- Comfortable work environment – A comfortable work environment will help you to maintain high level of productivity while you are working. Perhaps an office with light that fosters creative thinking will help out with environment
- Mindset – By changing how you think about what needs to be done and when, you will be creating a winning mindset and you will be able to increase your output. You should make a positive affirmation every morning: “I will be productive today”!
Here's to your success,